Inner City Music’s Mission
‘To enrich lives by enabling everyone to access, enjoy and participate in the best music of many cultures in a stimulating, social and conducive environment.‘
- To develop, manage and operate the strategically important live music venue, Band on the Wall – a centre of excellence and innovation recognised as being an important part of the cultural and arts infrastructure of Manchester, the region and the rest of the UK.
- To provide an integrated education programme, developing a centre for community music for people of all ages but including specific programmes for young people, and to fill identifiable gaps in such provision in Greater Manchester.
- To remove physical and psychological barriers to access, particularly through the provision of the best possible facilities and environment for disabled people, whether members of the audience, artists, staff or students.
- To support cultural diversity in its widest sense, in particular by presenting programmes and developing new audiences which reflect the diversity of people within the city, the region and the UK.
- To embrace new technologies, new modes of expression, and integrate events that combine music with other art-forms into the core programme.
- To improve knowledge of and access to our rich musical heritage; to conserve and enhance Band on the Wall as a music venue and encourage public awareness of the building’s importance to the social and cultural history of Manchester.
- To contribute to and benefit from the regeneration and cultural animation and increasing international profile of the Northern Quarter, the city and the region.
- To provide a secure financial and operational long-term framework for the organisation and its activities.
- To expand and develop the activities of Inner City Music beyond the boundaries of the physical venue; by developing partnerships with complementary organisations, exploiting commercial opportunities by providing our specialist expertise to other companies and agencies, and developing new opportunities as and when they arise.